Saturday, August 15, 2009

The B*tch is Back...

Oh look, my old (friend) work-related stress has returned.

Just when it seemed like I was getting enough sleep on a regular basis, here I am at 3:30am, stewing about this thing and another--or just thinking--for a couple of hours. Motherhood-related stress was aggravating, but at least I got to the end of the day tired enough to just conk out for 6 or 7 hrs.(then waking up could be blamed on a young'un).

I'm juggling four different projects, these days, plus some home renovations that will require painting, and I can't get my mind to settle. It's not that the projects are all that aggravating, it's just that I feel kind of stretched and unable to give each enough attention. Oh yeah, and the boys. So, I've been getting headaches (again) and now this sleep-thing. I tried to limit caffeine today *sobs* and didn't take a nap, so I'd be good and exhausted when bedtime rolled around.

I've done a bit of consulting, too. Roger Cole has a useful chapter in Tim McCall's Yoga As Medicine that I intend to implement tonite, if necessary. Kelly McGonigal also has a informative article on stress on YJ's site (she has been a good source for a couple of articles and is an editor of International Journal of Yoga Therapy).

So, I am well-armed for this evening. Hopefully, I won't need it, but we'll see. ZZZzzzzzz

8 comments:

Jen said...

Good luck! Insomnia is something that I really struggle with. It's often my monkey mind going nuts. Every now and then I get children's songs stuck in my head that won't shut up. And even when I try to "be productive" in the wee hours of the night I still feel angry and frustrated. Let us know if your strategies work.

Jan Holt said...

I feel your pain. I kind of feel that I've fallen off the "yogi wagon" in a way. I just can't seem to let go and get back into a place of balance and ease. Let me know if the Yoga as Medicine remedy works. I could use it.

Dhana said...

yes, I know. I am an Iyengar instructor/nursing mama/sometimes panicking-at-night gal. We all go there sometimes. My daughter has a strategy" She stuffs all her worries into her mental suitcase and locks it up". Gives her peace.
Interested in how the book works for you, the pile beside my bed is too deep for another, but do share!
Visit Dhana,ca!

Anonymous said...

breathing in i relax, breathing out i smile

Shantibird said...

Beautifully put, Anon! I love it.

Nichole said...

Hi Brenda- just happily came across your blog because it was recommended in my google reader (good recommendation ;-).

Have you done a restorative sequence before bed? Those have helped me settle in when I am having stress/insomnia issues. Judith Hanson Lasater, I'm sure, has an insomnia/restorative sequence somewhere. If not, I would think any forward folding restorative poses would be good and of course the old standby: Legs Up The Wall.

Looking forward to future posts, hopefully not at 3:30am though.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering what type of yoga you teach in your classes at the Stateline YMCA? I am looking for Iyengar yoga classes and live between Janesville and Beloit. Thanks.

Brenda P. said...

Thanks all for the ideas. More on that soon to come...

Anon in WI-my classes are Iyengar-based (I trained with an Iyengar teacher, but am not officially Iyeng. certified). Lots of props, slow, careful work. The next session starts Sept. 7. I hope to see you there!