Wednesday, July 22, 2009

5th Anniversary

Not only is today Eamonn's birthday, but it is also the fifth anniversary of my becoming a mother. Both momentous (and simultaneous) occasions in our household; the earth shifted and everything changed.

I often think about what a curious hazing early parenthood is--no sleep, a wailing baby, lots of blood and other bodily fluids, a complete lack of control. Also intense love, a desire to protect, possessiveness, joy, relief. All of these mighty emotions combined with the physical demands of healing and exhaustion rewire you completely. I wonder how different my brain chemistry is now compared to 2003--what neural pathways were connected to make sure I always think of the children first, hear a faint cry in the night, keep track of many disparate yet essential elements.

Yoga has been a touchstone through it all, especially in the early days when a Down Dog or Supta Baddha Konasana was my only connection to Life Before E. Not only did it unsnarl the painful knots that come from hunching over a helpless babe (why are they born before they can sit up?!?!?), but it helped me settle down and quiet voices that urged me to jump up and get something accomplished (impossible on 5 non-consecutive hours of sleep). Calming the Fluctuations...Pranayama, baby.

So here I am...five years out. A lot more experienced, not a whole lot smarter, but a more interesting person (I think). I live so much of my life outside of myself, these days, I think I have a much more mature perspective than I did back in the old days. After five years of trying to control the uncontrollable, you learn to let go a little bit. Chose your battles carefully. Turn the other cheek.

Here's to you, little man, as old as all the fingers on one hand. Happy Birthday, kiddo, and many Happy Returns!




5 comments:

Eco Yogini said...

aww so cute!

Happy Birthday! :)

Lexi said...

Hi

I think your site is great. I was wondering if you wanted to do a link exchange. If you can add me to your blog roll. My site is: www.lexiyoga.com
Thanks

Hope to hear from you soon
Lexi

Pradnya Rakesh said...

Happy Birthday to your kiddo :) Hi Brenda..I've been reading your blog just now, but couldnt get through all. It is very nice and detailed and am hoping you could resolve one question for me. Ive been trying to find out if a lady can do baddakonasana and trikonasana during her first trimester actually the time when she doesnt even know that she has conceived ? I am getting mixed answers as some say you can and some say you cant. Would appreciate if you could rest my mind to peace :) Thanks.

Brenda P. said...

Pradnya--
A lot of it depends on what kind of a practice you are used to. If you do BK and TK on a regular basis, you should be fine.

The rule of thumb (uterus?) is to try and maintain an inviting environment in the uterus for implantation of the embryo. So go easy on twists and poses that strengthen the core (Navasana, Plank, Chatturanga Dandasana).

You can see how you feel as you move into your second trimester. Open twists(not crossing the shoulders across the chest)are fine all the way through your pregnancy. Closed twists and gentle abdominal work is okay in the early 2nd trimester. As your tummy gets larger, you won't really be able to do these poses any more anyway.

For a bit more info, see my article on Yoga Journal's website:
http://www.yogajournal.com/for_teachers/2599

Good luck!

Pradnya Rakesh said...

Thanks so much !