Thursday, November 06, 2008

Putting PJS to rest

As I've thought about it, I'm not sure I have anything else to say about Revolved Head-to-Knee Pose. There isn't much in the way of modifications...either you stretch down to your foot, or you use a belt. What I've found to be the most interesting about it this week is how variable it is. For me, the more straightforward poses (Tree, Triangle, Down Dog) are pretty easy to assume without a lot of warm up--altho check out Nadine's discussion of Dog to see what a difference a warm up can make. Parivrtta Janu Sirsasana, on the other hand, is all over the place depending on the time of day, muscle temperature, mood...

Of course, all poses benefit from being done in the context of an extended, focused practice--but some (most) days I have very little time to actually stop and do a hour of yoga.
Excuses, excuses. So PJS can be clunky and frustrating, or smooth and elongating--even within the same 24 hours. Humbling. It works the best for me after exercising, with a careful progression into the twist and forward bend and then holding it while using the exhalations to lengthen the spine and deepen the twist.

Mostly, though, it made me think about how it's high time to let myself be taught. I'm dying for an outside class, but still haven't cleared a space in my life of freelance and little boys (I should take note of Heather's experience). There's my assignment for the next week, I guess. Go take a class.

And...since I've been doing chest openers all week with my students, let's do Urdhva Mukha Svanasana (Upward-facing Dog) next. Hello shoulder blades!

5 comments:

A Yoga Mama is a Rama Mama said...

Totally hear you about going to another person's class. I've neglected doing this as well the past five months since baby arrived. Before I became pregnant, I was going to a local yoga studio one to three times a week, but carving 90 minutes out of my day is almost impossible now. This week I was jonesing to do someone else's class to gain a new perspective. I've always been more of a home practice kind of girl versus going out, so I have several CDs of workouts (Shiva Rea, Baron Baptiste, Natasha R.?), which I love because they give such clear and concise instruction on how to align your body and feel the postures. So I did Baptiste's 75-minute flow this Sunday (I raked the leaves so my husband couldn't say no to giving me the time! LOL!). This was the first time I'd done it since being about 5 months pregnant and at times, this practice could seem so overwhelming to me. However, I made the intention to enjoy, learn and stay comfortable, and it felt soooooo good. So maybe doing another person's practice inside the comforts of your own home could help you accomplish this goal. :)

Anonymous said...

I just spent like an hour reading your blog. I love it! I've been asking around... do you know of a good yoga retreat center in Massachusetts? I've been to Kripalu, but am looking for a different one this time around. Thought maybe you'd know since you seem to be in the loop. Thanks!

P.s. i've made a list of some of the retreats that i've come across online (http://goingontheroad.wordpress.com/2008/11/13/yoga-and-meditation-resorts-in-the-us/), but if you know of more, please add!

Olivia

Anonymous said...

Hello Miss Brenda, I was wondering if the Beloit crew are going to MN for thanksgiving. I very much hope so since I missed out on seeing everyone over the summer! Plus I have a fun story for Jim.

Maybe someday I'll actually write down your email instead of randomly posting on your blog... maybe not.

-Stephanie

Anne-Marie said...

Upward dog ... ouch. My teacher likes us to move between downward and upward dog, and it's hard. My wrists just aren't strong enough! I'm sure if I could get over that little problem I'd love this asana.

Brenda P. said...

Mama--I'm scanning Netflix offerings, these days. I'm almost ready to start getting up a bit early (the baby's been sleeping all night for almost 2 weeks).

Olivia--Thanks. Actually, look at Barrett Lauck's Five Point Yoga blog. She's in Boston and probably has a better line on Mass. than I do.

Steph--We'll be there, with bells on. Can't wait to hear about school, the boy, etc.

Anne-Marie--I'll try to do a post about wrists soon...there are some things to try.